Faces in your Art Journal – How to use large focal images effectively
Live Class Date: Saturday 5th September – 2pm AEST (available after the 5th Sept as a video replay with access to the private class group and all content within the group)
Join Niamh Baly for a “LIVE” class, hosted in a private Facebook group to learn how to incorporate large focal images, in this case faces, into your art journal pages. We will complete two different art journal spreads to create two completely contrasting pieces of art (maybe more if we can squeeze them in!). We will be exploring how to use colour effectively, using stencil techniques, colouring and shading faces, as well as texture pastes and acrylic paints and sprays. This is a great class for those beginning to dabble in Art Journaling or for those who want some more information on how to compose pages with larger images or painting over faces.
This class is a mixed media class, so by its nature will always lead to being a unique piece of art. It is not possible to replicate the sample piece exactly but I will give you all the tips and tricks to create something similar with the supplies you have on hand. In all my classes I provide a video prior to the class explaining the supplies list, alternatives and how to create some of the supplies yourself if needed. I also provide you will some files to print out to help you get started as well.
How it works:
Niamh will go LIVE in the class private group at the specified class time. You can gather your supplies and create right along with Niamh as she teaches. You can comment, ask questions, and interact with other students. You can also share your work in the group. If you happen to miss the live broadcast, or if you want to re-watch it, it will be permanently saved in the group Video section.
How long you have access:
How to sign up:
- Go to www.bevscrosscrafts.com.au
- Click on “Online Classes.”
- Select the class you want to attend and put it in your cart and go through the purchase process.
- IMPORTANT: During Checkout please provide your Facebook name as a comment so we can invite you to the class group. If you are from overseas – make sure you choose ‘pick up’ when you get to the shipping information.
- We will send you a confirmation email and a link to join the private Facebook group from my email (email@example.com) or via facebook. This may take up to 48 hrs. Please check your junk/spam account if you don’t receive an email within that time or email me directly.
- Art journal (I’ll be using my large Dylusions journal or Dina Wakley Journal) or 2 pieces of A3 watercolour/mixed media paper.
- Dina Wakley Collage faces tissue paper (or blank tissue and I will show you how to create your own face images)
- Tool kit like scissors, paint brushes, wipes, heat tool
- Black and white journaling pens
- Stabilo all pencil
- Matt gel medium
- Posca paint pens – assorted colours
- Archival ink, black and assorted colours if you have them
- Any stencils you like - larger stencils are better for this
- Texture paste
- Acrylic paint
- Acrylic or dye based sprays (dylusions/oxides)
Q: I don’t have Facebook. How can I join the class?
A: Because we are using Facebook’s platform to host the class, you must have a Facebook account to join.
Q: I don’t have all the supplies listed.
A: You can always substitute for similar items, or leave something out. I always film a supplies video at least a week before the class going through the supplies list in detail and giving you lots of alternatives and suggestions for other products or things you may find around your house. I don’t expect anyone to go out and buy supplies especially for these classes.
Q: Your class is at 2pm EST(Aus), but I live in England. What time will your class air?
A: Go to: World Clock and personalize the clocks at the top with Australian Eastern Standard time (Hobart) time and your local time.
Q: I never got the confirmation email.
A: Simply email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we check that for you.
Q: I took one Facebook live class. Will your next class go in the same group?
A: No, each class with have its own unique Facebook group. You must sign up for each class separately.
Q: Where do I find the video?
A: On the day of class, pull the group up on your phone, tablet, or computer. When class starts, you will see a post that I am going Live in the group. Click on that to watch. After class is over, you can watch the video by clicking on the “Video” or “ Announcements” section of the group.
Q: What payment options do you offer?
A: We accept PayPal. You can link your PayPal up to your bank account or a credit card.
Q: I have technical problems!
A: Email me and we'll do our best to help. Note that the classes will work well on your computer with a high-speed internet connection. They are not guaranteed to work on tablets, but we have tested them on our iPad and they worked well. Most technical issues come down to having patchy internet connection. If something freezes, log out of the class and come back in again. If you miss something, the class will be recorded in full and you can re-watch the video later.
Q: In what language are the classes?
A: The classes are in English. There is no written transcript of the videos.
Q: My question didn’t get answered in the class?
A: I will try really hard to answer questions as I go, but if I miss any, as soon as the class is over, I will go back in and answer all the questions. I will also be monitoring the group so that any posts, questions or queries after the live class will be responded to as well.